TRACK YOUR PROGRESS:
Include more activity to your Healthy Food Choice diet by committing to regular exercise or activity.
Think outside the box
You may find that running, walking on a treadmill or participate in spinning class, this is all great! Keeping active is another key to good health. If you are like most of us, you find work-out to be boring? If so, Try watching television, read a magazine or book, listen to music will help to pass the time away.
There are Many Possibilities
Choose one or two from this list on a daily basis is sufficient for your physical health.
- Walk Your Dog
- Climbing Stairs
- Go dancing
- Participate in Zumbia
- Try Water Aerobics
- Go Canoeing
Think about things you like to do, or something new you want to try. I try to incorporate at least one new activity a day or as time allows. Do different things so you will not become bored.
Make a note of things that are challenging for you now.
- Riding a bike
- Getting out of a chair
- Running for the train
- Climbing the stairs
TRACK YOUR PROGRESS:
1. Use a calendar to keep track of when you are active.
2. Instead of trying to carry everything upstairs at once, make several trips.
3. To enhance walking, get off the bus a step ahead of your destination.
4. Try parking your car at the farthest end of the lot when going shopping at the mall.
5. Take a walk through all of the aisles at the mall and supermarket.
PRAISE YOUR EFFORT
It really feels good to see what you’ve accomplished.
- Turn it into a game by challenging yourself to squeeze in more activity, whether spending an extra five minutes on the thread mill or taking more steps every day will work just as well.
- When you accomplish a goal, treat yourself to a non-food reward such as; picking out a new piece of fitness clothing.
FITNESS IS MORE FUN
Times goes faster and you can encourage each other
Ask a family member or friend to clock in with you regularly to see how you’re doing to keep you accountable.
Your Diabetes Educator, Physical Therapist or other health professionals can help you find activities that will help you get in shape without pain.
WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION?
Decide what you want to achieve by staying active.
1. Would you like to play with your nephew and grandchildren without losing your breath?
2. Do you want to lose weight, improve your blood glucose level or have less pain?
Whatever your goals are, please write them down:
In addition to a balanced diet,regular activity is one of the most important things you can do to stay healthy and help keep your diabetes in check.